Two nights ago, on the last night of 2019, I sat down at my computer and finished dumping all of my pictures of 2019 onto the blog. Then I thought really long and hard about where I wanted to go from here. Do I want to continue the blog? What's the point of the blog if it's just a place to dump pictures? I can dump pictures on Instagram and Google Photos. If I keep the blog, I need to write. Will I make the time to write?
I have decided that yes, yes I will make the time to write. I like to hear what I have to say. My kids like to read my stories about them and tell them to me. "Mom," says Edmond, "I can't believe you told me Santa wasn't real when I was in preschool." He read that on my blog. I like to print my blog into books for each year and put them on shelves in my home where my children reach for them often to look at pictures of our family and read about us.
The other day the kids were playing charades and Edmond stood up in front of Charlie and pretended to dust and vacuum and said, "Who am I?" Charlie quickly had an answer. "You're Mom!" I found this funny and true. Yes, I am the lady who wanders around the house cleaning and cooking. But it also made me feel a bit worried. Is that how they mainly identify me? The cleaning lady? I want them to know me for real. And so, here I am, attempting to write and wanting it to be good and interesting and funny and authentic. A piece of myself that I am leaving here in this spot.
There are some things that are worth doing. Telling my story is worth doing. Family pictures are worth taking. In the end, when our loved ones are gone, all we really have are our memories. This story and these pictures along with our memories are what I am leaving behind. And it's worth it.
Here are some family pictures from the last decade:
2009
2011
2012
2012
2013
2014
2015
2016
2017
2018
2019


No comments:
Post a Comment