Alright, I told you I'd give you the skinny on the play kitchen. Here is a detailed account of the play kitchen proceedings.
My father-in-law texted me and asked if I'd be interested in inheriting the above entertainment center. Having seen entertainment centers made into kitchens on Pinterest, I said "Yes please I will take it!"
And so I transformed it into this:
I painted it using the tips found on All Things Thrifty.
I had a piece of sheet metal made to fit on one side, and we screwed it on.
I nailed beadboard onto the back and spray painted it that dark blue valspar spray paint from Lowes. The sink is a kitchen bowl, the faucet a bathroom faucet off Craigslist, the burners were little wood circles I found at Hobby Lobby and painted black.
I put a cooling rack in the side to make it look like an oven. All the play food is from Target. I think it's so cute and I love watching the boys use the oven mitt to take stuff out of the oven. They love pretending everything is "hot".
I filled an egg carton full of plastic eggs. They love cracking them. I put a bunch of old containers in there from real food. The kids appreciate the authenticity.
I know when some people have done this project, they paint the bottom cupboards to look like an oven and a dishwasher, but I wanted to use them for storage so I put the oven on the side behind the glass and I use the space under the sink for building blocks.
I'm happy with it, and I love the storage space that it provides. I think I spent about $100 on supplies to make it cute...so it's not a super cheap project considering you can buy some pretty decent play kitchens out there for about that much. But, I love that it's not plastic, or cheap plywood, it's solid wood and totally custom and unique and matches my space. So for me, this project was a winner.

8 comments:
It is amazing! I love it. Linc plays in a cheap crappy plastic one all the time, so I know he'd love this one. Your boys are lucky to have such a mindful momma.
You are amazingly crafty! I am always super impressed by your skills!
This is adorable! I think it's safe to say I'm totally jealous of your adorable house and crafting skills.
This is adorable!!! I love it. Kelly and I are great friends! Thanks for sharing!!
This is adorable!!! I love it. Kelly and I are great friends! Thanks for sharing!!
P.S. I pinned this so I can do it someday!
this is awesome! I love your posts, I have a feeling we are super similar at super similar places in life right now (um, or maybe just super similar kid ages, aka insanity levels). Glad you're surviving as much as we are :)
So jealous. Your kitchen is SOOOO much better than a plastic toy. You are amazing.
Post a Comment